Friday, May 22, 2020

Rumblings ...

      Dang, four years. I'd apologize, for abandoning this little project, but to whom? At best, you could say I got dragged into the social media hole. At worst, I just got dragged.

     2012-2014 were horrible years. The worst. My Program Director committed violent suicide, via handgun, in February of 2012, after having been undermined for years. Over the course of the next few months, depression and cognitive dissonance set in as I came to finally understand that I was never going to be anything more than window dressing there, and for people who wouldn't have lasted more than six weeks with my previous employers. That's an arrogant thing to say, I suppose. That kind of knowledge breeds hubris, and it didn't endear me to anyone. Especially the station accountant who was set to become the VP of programming, a background move which was set in early 2102 and never even announced to the rest of the station until .. well I don't know if there ever was any kind of memo, I just know that the rest of the air-staff had no clue, even a year later when I got canned. And so from April or May of 2012 and for the next two years, I spent most of my non-work related time in bed, with the comforters pulled up over my head.


      Should I manage to find any discipline, to return to writing in general and this blog in specific, the topics won't be contained to entertainment. Just fair warning.


     In recent years, I repeatedly find myself returning to a thread of thought, about how the atmosphere around the 1970s anti-Disco movement has re-emerged in social media and politics. In coming times, I hope to fully articulate my feelings, thoughts, and opinions in a coherent narrative. I think a massive chunk of what's going on in our political divisions, is at least partly — and a pretty huge one, actually — the result of how the emergence of rock radio dovetailed with business interests, and how the advertising/marketing industry was engaged to assist in carving out a cultural identity for rockists. I believe we are in a societal arena that's very similar to the anti-disco backlash, due to social media, and now that we are all thrust back into a cultural marketplace with few massive communities instead of tons of smaller ones, the battle is on for whose culture or subculture will be dominant. And the people running for various offices are using it.

So .. if I can find and hang onto the necessary discipline, you'll see more on that.

- MB


No comments: